[Greasemonkey] Rich text editor replacement for textarea

Edward Lee edilee at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 02:28:32 EDT 2005

On 4/26/05, Nikolas Coukouma <lists at atrus.org> wrote:
> > Since everyone's been linking various Javascript ways of making rich
> > text editors, I thought I'd mention that Mozilla has the Midas API.
> > http://www.mozilla.org/editor/midasdemo/

Well.. it seems like Matt Labrum's reply split the topic, but he also
linked the midasdemo as well as the spec page. I did play around with
it a bit and detailed a bit more in the other reply about something I
put together fairly quickly. http://ed.agadak.net/richText/rte.html

> I should mention that if you use Midas, you have a DOM ready to be
> serialized into whatever format you want.

What do you mean by this? You can indeed just take the innerHTML or
XMLSerializer.serializeToString, but posting the data back to the
original server is most likely expecting plain text or special markup
tags. Maybe you're talking about walking down the DOM to generate that
output to send to the server because it should be well structured and
visiting each child to apply the specific tags.. hrmm yes that makes
more sense. :) Most likely should be implemented recursively for all
the nesting tag fun.

--
Ed