[Greasemonkey] Crash on "Install User Script"

Prakash Kailasa pk-moz at kailasa.net
Wed Apr 27 08:23:01 EDT 2005

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 12:50:30AM -0500, a.list.address at gmail.com wrote:

> I did run Firefox from the command line, and the only thing it said
> was "Segmentation fault" when Firefox crashed.

I have had this problem before. Debian unstable, currently running
Firefox 1.0.1, but the problem appeared when I was running 1.0 I
think.

Firefox still crashes occasionally on installing a user script, but
thankfully it's not often. Especially when I am edit an already
installed script and install the modified version repeatedly. I have
taken to edit the scripts in-place (or copy the edited version into GM
scripts directory), which helps with this. But if you are installing
the script for the first time, this is not an appropriate solution.

> I've invested a lot of time in customizing this Firefox profile with
> extensions, toolbar changes, etc.  All of my other extensions work
> perfectly!  Is there anything I can do to fix this without making a
> new profile?

Disable all the extensions but Greasemonkey, and enable groups of them
at one time, install the script and see if it crashes. Painful process
and lots of restarting Firefox involved, but I couldn't find a better
solution.

In my case, I had narrowed it down to one extension (Download Manager
Tweak 0.6.3) and the problem went away when I disabled it.

HTH,
/prakash

--
|Sigh.  I like to think it's just the Linux people who want to be      |
|on the "leading edge" so bad they walk right off the precipice.       |