[Greasemonkey] Question: what would happen if Greasemonkey sent the ID of every applicable user script with each request?

Aaron Boodman zboogs at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 17:07:47 EDT 2005

> I'm not sure it's that good for restoring the "balance of power"
> though. Maybe a javascript variable or meta tag to disable GM on a
> given page would work better for that purpose (the GM icon would
> indicate the website disabled it).

That's just the thing. I don't want publishers to be able to disable
GM alone. That is a no-go, otherwise Pilgrim will branch the project!

But I think the idea of informing publishers that GM is in use and
allowing them to make a decision is interesting.

> I don't think that you can force publishers to either serve unmodified
> content or no content at all.

You mean technically? ethically? Technically, I certainly can. I send
them a message as part of the request for each webpage saying GM is in
use. They then have a choice: send content or don't send content, but
they can't control GM specifically.