[Greasemonkey] Question: what would happen if Greasemonkey sent the ID of every applicable user script with each request?

Aaron Boodman zboogs at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 18:52:40 EDT 2005

Ok, my point is not really getting across here. I'll try once more and
then give up.

GM-like applications are proveably not disableable. How? Write an
application which instances a web browser, tells it to download a
particular URL to disk, and then changes it programatically on disk
and redisplays it. Voila! Slow perhaps, but totally undetectable.

Yes, currently GM is disableable, but that isn't particularly
interesting. It is disableable only through implementation bugs and
design shortcomings. This isn't sustainable even in the short term.
The only reason I haven't fixed the issues brought up by Pilgrim's
experiments is because there is no immediate need. There will be no
arms race; user scripting won the day HTTP 1.0 was written.

What I am proposing is that GM simply notify the site on each request
that it is active. Since we have already proven (see paragraph #1)
that GM is not disableable, what might a publisher do with that
information?

Well, he'd have several choices: deliver same webpage he would to
anyone else, deliver a webpage somehow optimised for GM, or deliver no
webpage.

Choice #2 is particulary interesting, and I wonder if choice #3 should
be available to him.

--
Aaron