[Greasemonkey] Question: what would happen if Greasemonkey sent the ID of every applicable user script with each request?

Nikolas 'Atrus' Coukouma lists at atrus.org
Fri Apr 29 04:21:46 EDT 2005

Aaron Boodman wrote:

>I was wondering: what would it do to the balance of power if
>Greasemonkey sent headers with each browser request announcing itself
>and each of the enabled scripts?
>
>Publishers would not be able to disable Greasemonkey AND serve
>content. They'd only be able to decide to serve content and allow
>Greasemonkey, or to not serve content at all.
>
>What do you guys think?

I'd suggest adding a note in the default User-Agent header. It's the
obvious place to put it and is easily changed if people want to. I'm
thinking of something like:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050415
Firefox/1.0.3 with Greasemonkey

It would provide a way to track Greasemonkey usage (most servers log
User-Agent strings). I see little point in listing all the user scripts
someone is using with every single request. It seems like a waste of
bandwidth and drive space (for those logging).

-Nikolas 'Atrus' Coukouma