[Greasemonkey] Question: what would happen if Greasemonkey sent the ID of every applicable user script with each request?

Phil Ringnalda philringnalda at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 12:45:13 EDT 2005

On 4/29/05, Julien Couvreur <julien.couvreur at gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem is that so far we have no idea how most websites will
> react.

How often do you see an MSSmartTagsPreventParsing meta element in
other people's current HTML? I see them all the time, and as I
understand it, that serves the current purpose of preventing people
who save the HTML, then open it in MS Word, from using their own
choice of SmartTags (scripts which alter the HTML, sound familiar?),
since SmartTags in the browser never made it past one beta. Four years
later, people are still churning out fresh HTML that fights the horror
of third parties providing little scripts to make their pages more
useful to readers.

My own first thought on seeing talk about adding GM to the UA string
wasn't too pure, either: it makes Firefox bug triage that much easier,
because any time that you see a UA string with evidence of an
extension, the first thing you do is order the reporter to try to
reproduce in safe mode, and quite often they then go away without you
having to puzzle out what caused their problem.

Me, I'll be switching to Greaseplatypus if Greasemonkey starts telling
tales to sites about what I'm doing to them. Sure, there are
situations where it would be nice and useful, but then leaving your
front door unlocked while you are gone, so people who run out of gas
near your house can borrow the phone, would be nice and useful too.

Phil Ringnalda