[Greasemonkey] Very new to this, can you help?

Tony Chang tony at ponderer.org
Tue Jul 5 16:46:57 EDT 2005

On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 12:03:05PM -0700, Mihai Parparita wrote:
> Since this comes up a lot, perhaps GM can provide a GM_openInTab(url)
> method. I'll look into adding it myself, but no promises as to when
> I'll actually get around to it.

I don't think this is something greasemonkey should be doing.  Even
though I prefer tabbed browsing, I don't think others should be forced to
use it in place of using multiple windows.  If someone wants to replace
new windows with new tabs, s/he should go to Preferences -> Advanced ->
Tabbed Browsing -> Force links that open new windows to open in -> a new
tab, or muck around in about:config, which provides a bit more control.

Good scripts could provide a user option for new tab vs new window, but
that seems redundant to just setting the firefox global setting.

Tony

> On 7/5/05, Mark Pilgrim <pilgrim at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 7/5/05, Jason <jason at everydayjones.com> wrote:
> > > it'll open up a new tab and not a new window. Is this possible?
> >
> > No, it is not possible for unprivileged Javascript (like Greasemonkey
> > scripts) to control whether pages open in a new tab instead of a new
> > window.
> >
> > --
> > Cheers,
> > -Mark