[Greasemonkey] automate with Firefox?

Prakash Kailasa pk-moz at kailasa.net
Wed Jul 6 12:29:25 EDT 2005

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 04:52:19AM -0700, Jason Green wrote:
> Since there is a script to automatically log you into MySpace, is it
> possible to write something that would then automate tasks? Example,
> it'd log into myspace and leave a text message in each of the friends
> comment box.

Yes. It is possible to do something like this, if you can uniquely
identify each page (maybe a form name, or any element that is guaranteed
to be on each page and that page only).

Your script would basically look like this:

if (on_page_1) {
    do_something_for_page_1(...);
} else if (on_page_2) {
    do_something_for_page_2(...);
} else {
    do_something_else(...);
}

It gets ugly (I don't much like this if-elseif-elseif-...-else
pattern) if you have a lot of pages to deal with, but for a small set
it should be ok.

[I wrote a very small script at work to skip a couple of annoying
pages every time I login to an application. All you ever do is click
on one of many possible links to choose an option and you go to the
script by using GM_*Value (to let users select the default option) and
GM_registerMenuCommand (toggle skipping on/off). It has become quite a
must-have among my co-workers.]

/prakash

--
|In the future, you're going to get computers as prizes in breakfast   |
|cereals.  You'll throw them out because your house will be littered   |