[Greasemonkey] New Script Manager UI

Bill Donnelly donnelly at snowcrest.net
Thu Jul 7 20:35:24 EDT 2005

Nice.

When in doubt, or not, look to see what others have done,
use what you can, and build upon their work, if needed.
Imitation is flattery and all that.....

I would like to see the enable/disable checkbox on each line.
Pretty easy to do and it is a best design implementation, imo.

I really would like an icon, just for coolness' sake. Also easy.
I like to make icons and such. And they're so pretty..... (maybe 16x16?)
The default icon, when people don't specify their own,
can be the Gm monkey icon. (or some version of it -- a straight-line mouth?)

And coloration is an easy and quick way to show the state of something.
Green (background) for new, red for going to be uninstalled, dimmed for
disable, etc.
(does not hurt to have the checkbox AND coloration -- the checkbox more
so for
nice design right next to the item info rather than a shared checkbox
elsewhere)

Altho I really would prefer that the actions were immediate, rather than
delayed.

I also like the grey line between each item in the extension manager list.

And I have an extension that adds a CLOSE button to the far left of the
buttons on the extension manager -- I think it's ridiculous not having one.
You should never be required to close a dialog by clicking the upper right
[X] close button. That is bad design, plain and simple. (go ahead and
disagree
with me -- but I'm right and you're wrong! Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!
Wrong!)

FYI: Here is what downThemALL! looks like:

Inevitably, the XUL is the easier part of the problem. (especially when
you can copy what others have done in other extensions -- like dTA!)
It's the coding around it all that makes it all work that is the hard part.

btw -- the above is my version of dTA! -- Nothing too huge --
I added the "X items checked" line, and I can preceed filter items
with ^ to make them "not found" in the URL for exclusion. That comes in
handy.
I think I made a few other changes, too, that don't come to mind right now.

--
Jack the Ripper may have been quite insane,
but he had beautiful penmanship.