[Greasemonkey] On-the-fly 'permanent' URL exclusions (or inclusions)

Bill Donnelly donnelly at snowcrest.net
Thu Jul 7 23:21:31 EDT 2005

I'm throwing out an idea before I get into it to far and
do it in a way that may not be best.

My ColorFix GmScript doesn't work on all websites.
http://www.snowcrest.net/donnelly/gmscripts/#colors

So I exclude those I visit often with the @exclude metadata.
For quicky "don't fix colors on this site" problems, I have a
bookmarklet that appends "[?/&]nofix=nofix" to the URL which
my script sees and exits if present.

But that is VERY temporary. Too temporary if you move around
within the site in question, because it loses the parameter.
(and it is also 'global' and affects the primary page and all
frame and iframe pages, too, which may not be wanted ---
but that is probably a bigger, separate issue)

So I was thinking about having a bookmarklet that calls a
script function I will provide to add the current site URL
(probably auto-stripped down to an "*domain.tld-ish*" regex)
to an additional exclusion list that my main function will
check and exit early if there is a match. The value will be
stored (appended) using GM_setValue(). (which I haven't used yet)

That's my idea.

I suppose, ideally, it would be nice to have a GM_addExclusion()
function. (and a GM_addInclusion()) That way everyone could
use it if they want.
(although, it would be funny if websites started calling it if
present to exclude themselves as a way to "turn off" Gm ---
there would have to be a way around that I suppose)

So, any comments, suggestions, brainstorming eurekas?

--
Jack the Ripper may have been quite insane,
but he had beautiful penmanship.