[Greasemonkey] Re: Greasemonkey 0.4 - Last call (Aaron Boodman)

Nikolas Coukouma lists at atrus.org
Tue Jul 12 17:03:32 EDT 2005

Aaron Boodman wrote:

>>Why not use XMLHTTPRequest or some other downloading interface that
>>does not leave an entry in the Download Manager?
>>

>I don't want to start downloading something in the background of
>unknown length over unknown connection with no indication to the user
>that it's happening or when it will be done.
>
>Am I insane?
>
>I'm totally fine with putting a timer on it or something so it doesn't
>flash for short downloads. But even FF does this for, for instance,
>saving an HTML file.

The Download Manager was a good start because it takes care of this stuff.

Part of my proposed script manager rewrite was moving the download
progress to that window just to avoid opening another one. This should
be pretty easy because we can register a progress listener and use the
standard progress bar widget. I do think reducing the number of windows
popping up and clicking required is a Good Thing, even if it means doing
more work on Greasemonkey's end. I think the download manager business
is low priority compared to getting rid of the current install dialog
while still providing some notification.

Bleh, I need to get back to hacking at this.

-Nikolas