[Greasemonkey] extract from <script> tags...

Robert G. Werner robert at inreachtech.net
Thu Jul 14 13:04:35 EDT 2005

Nikolas Coukouma wrote:
> Blake West wrote:
>

>>>First of all, Java and Javascript are completely different languages, so
>>>you might want to start by reading a primer/tutorial/etc on it.
>>>

>>JavaScript is probably the worst language name in history. I have
>>worked with developers that thought JavaScript was a derivative of
>>Java even after they worked with it for several months, just because
>>of that false pattern VB:VBScript::Java:JavaScript.
>>

> Yeah, it's all Netscape's fault for tapping into the Java hype at the
> time. If it's any consolation, they did develop LiveConnect so
> Javascript can interact with Java applets.
>
> I make a point of writing it with a lower-case 's' in the vain hope to
> keep people from parsing it as "java script". Oh well.

The other part of this that is amusing is that now that Sun wants to
have some sort of scripting in Java they have to call it Beanscript.
Was this a case of not enforcing trademarks?

--
In Reach Technology:    http://www.inreachtech.net/

Robert G. Werner
robert at inreachtech.net

Tel: 559.304.5122

Your life would be very empty if you had nothing to regret.