[Greasemonkey] GM_setValue limit?

Tom Lee thomas.j.lee at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 10:28:40 EDT 2005

Hi folks.  I'm working on a script that has larger-than-usual storage
requirements  -- I need the ability to store as many as, say, 10,000
characters within a single GM_setValue value.  Tests with shorter
strings work fine, but when a long string is used, no value is
recorded in the about:config dialog.  It appears that the value
remains set within the script's scope, but doesn't persist beyond a
page reload or change of location.

Can anyone tell me about the limits of the GM_setValue() method (I've
been unable to turn up relevant documentation)?  Are there other
limitations to the preference storage system that would make spanning
a single large string across multiple pref. entries a bad idea?  Am I
going to have to bite the bullet and make this a full-fledged
extension?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.