[Greasemonkey] GreaseMonkeyed.com - Script Repository

Jeremy Dunck jdunck at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 12:07:54 EDT 2005

On 7/19/05, Godmar Back <godmar at gmail.com> wrote:
> I like the Joe's idea of a peer review for GM scripts; of course, the
> integrity of the script must be guaranteed in this case to ensure that
> the review posted applies to exactly what the user installs locally,
> similar to how a digital signature includes a fingerprint of the
> document being signed.  Unfortunately, scripts that eval some external
> pulled-in js would be excluded from that approval unless the currently
> included version of the script would be subjected to peer review first
> - in this case it would have to be hosted from the peer review site,
> which raises the issues of who pays for the additional load imposed on
> those servers.

That's what userscript.org's design is to do (if we ever get it
launched, sorry).

There'd be certain guidelines that would exclude a script from
approval (still hosted-- just with a big warning sign).

Hosted scripts w/ hashes would be primary distribution, w/ original
script URL linked for reference/update spidering.

And I don't really think the load of downloading scripts would be
significant; most are small, and certainly can be effectively cached.