[Greasemonkey] GM-TNG - several bugs fixed

Anthony Lieuallen arantius at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 10:47:55 EDT 2005

On 7/27/05, Bill Donnelly <donnelly at snowcrest.net> wrote:
> Isn't that the same thing?

(Note, I'm the author of GDB so I can rag on it ;-) )

No it's not the same.

> Doesn't the second way create a window global function foo,
> just like the first way?

>From what I understand, in GM-TNG, no it does not.  unsafeWindow.foo() would.

> If not, what's the difference?

The existing way creates a function in the global namespace of the
page.  The latter way assigns the function as a property of the
button, and litters nothing up.

> And how does the second reference know to call the correct
> foo function if it's not defined window globally?

Because javascript handles that.  Not quite sure how to explain it.
Being assigned to the onclick function is simply a reference to it.

As for it being bad code, yes technically it is.  I started out
polluting the global name space because earlier versions relied on a
setTimeout and I knew no other way to call the function besides
putting it in the global namespace.  I'll have to work to make this
deer park compatible I imagine.

But aside from running it, with the GM 0.4.1 I downloaded yesterday,
and FF 1.0.6 the script would not even install.  The download window
would pop up, but not the install script dialog.  There was an error
which I posted in the other thread