[Greasemonkey] Still can't uninstall GM

chris feldmann cfeldmann at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 11:57:56 EDT 2005

On 7/27/05, J G <buygamescheap at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your help, everyone, but so far I've been
> only partially successful. If I remove all references
> to Greasemonkey from the extensions.rdf file (assuming
> I've done that correctly), then Greasemonkey
> disappears from the Extensions window, and there is a
> blank space in the status bar where the monkey icon
> used to be, but the User Script commands are still
> present in the Tools menu. If I delete the
> GreaseMonkey folder from the extensions directory,
> then Firefox doesn't start up at all. Any help in
> unstalling GM would be most appreciated. By the way, I
> am using Firefox 1.0.6 and GM 0.3.5.

J G,
Wow, I went back and followed my own advice and moved my greasemonkey
extension directory and found out what bad advice it was: I totally hosed
firefox. I mucked around in extensions.rdf but couldn't get back up. So
here's how I got back up:

(I'm going to assume you're using windows. I'm on w2k here at work, but XP's
going to be pretty close).

1. Go download the firefox 1.06 installer if you don't have a copy lying
around.
2. open up windows explorer and navigate to Documents and Settings->(your
username)->Application Settings.
3. Find the Mozilla Directory and either delete it or move it to a temporary
location.
4. Reinstall firefox.
5. Reinstall all your extensions and themes.

Sorry, man, for my bad advice. Good luck!