[Greasemonkey] firefox weirdness (namespace conflicts?)

Godmar Back godmar at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 13:40:02 EDT 2005

On Firefox 1.0.6 on MacOS I have installed GM 0.3.5.
It runs fine, unless I load a second, unrelated extension.

If I install that extension, GM fails during its load procedure;
specifically the following lines cause an exception that
"userscript-tools-manage" and "userscript-tools-install" do not exist:

try {
manageMenuItemClicked, false);
} catch (e) { alert(e); }
try {
installMenuItemClicked, false);
} catch (e) { alert(e); }

(I have wrapped them in try/catch to make sure GM starts up. These are
the only changes I have made.) And indeed, the menu items aren't shown
in the Tools menu.

Here comes the weird part.  The second extension, whose installation
made GM fail in this manner, has a line:
<script type="application/x-javascript"
src="chrome://communicator/content/utilityOverlay.js" />
in its overlay, which, when removed, allows GM to start up flawlessly.
I should also mention that I have stripped all initialization code
from the other extension, it makes no difference. I have removed the
Tools menu items that other extensions adds, with no improvement.

This only happens on Mac OS as far as I can tell. The other extension
and GM cooperate peacefully on Windows, for instance.

Is there a way to get FF to output errors caught during extension

It may be a good practice to at least wrap GM's initialization and
output such errors to the console, because otherwise GM will just
silently disappear in the face of such unexplained interactions.

Has anybody experienced similar weirdness?

 - Godmar