[Greasemonkey] firefox weirdness (namespace conflicts?)

Aaron Boodman zboogs at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 11:13:18 EDT 2005

> Here comes the weird part.  The second extension, whose installation
> made GM fail in this manner, has a line:
> <script type="application/x-javascript"
> src="chrome://communicator/content/utilityOverlay.js" />
> in its overlay, which, when removed, allows GM to start up flawlessly.
> I should also mention that I have stripped all initialization code
> from the other extension, it makes no difference. I have removed the
> Tools menu items that other extensions adds, with no improvement.

It sounds like that extension is playing with the tools menu and not
expecting other extensions' menu items to be in there?

> This only happens on Mac OS as far as I can tell. The other extension
> and GM cooperate peacefully on Windows, for instance.

But the fact that it only happens on Mac is very strange indeed.

> Is there a way to get FF to output errors caught during extension
> initialization?

If you start firefox with the -console command line flag it is
slightly more verbose in it's output to the command line prompt. But
with release builds, it's still not that good.

> It may be a good practice to at least wrap GM's initialization and
> output such errors to the console, because otherwise GM will just
> silently disappear in the face of such unexplained interactions.

I'm confused here. You said above that it is causing an exception,
which I presume is getting reported to the JavaScript console already.
What else do you want it to do? If you're not getting errors in the JS
Console you can turn them on with the
javascript.options.showInConsole=true preference.

If you can point us at the extension in question maybe we can help debug.

--
Aaron