[Greasemonkey] GM and Portable Firefox

tanguyr tanguyr at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 14:55:16 EDT 2005

Hello,

Just FYI, but the issue with greasemonkey and portable firefox has
been brought up on the PFF support thread in the forums (June 1st):

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=267408&postdays=0&postorder=asc&postsperpage=15&start=30

(about half way down the page, see " Issue with PFF launcher &
greasemonkey extension" - message reads: "The current launcher (1.08)
does not correctly update the relative path for the GreaseMonkey
extension in chrome.rdf. I believe it is because the c:baseURL entry
for GreaseMonkey starts with "file" instead of the usual "jar:file".")

If you install GM on PFF, it will work on any computer as long as the
drive letter (of your USB key or wherever you have installed PFF) does
not change. If it does, then PFF won't start up: it gets half way
through launch then hangs with the firefox process present but doing
nothing. The workaround is to un-install and re-install when changing
computers.

Regards,
Tanguy

I used Portable Firefox with Greasemonkey (in the free wheeling days,
when we still had dew in our eyes and GM_XMLHttpRequest seemed secure)
when I did presentations, since part of my "schtick" was a GM script and
I never had any trouble.

I guess the answer here is, your mileage may vary.

-Ross.