[Greasemonkey] 0.4.2 - last call before open beta

Mark Pilgrim pilgrim at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 13:54:15 EDT 2005

On 7/29/05, chris feldmann <cfeldmann at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Also, if this rewrite doesn't deserve an increment in the second decimal
> place, nothing does.

This was my main point; apologies for burying under a torrential
downpour of facts and frustration.

GM 0.4.0 was out there for some time.  Not on the Greasemonkey home
page, but publicly available on this list.  I had 100 scripts that
worked in GM 0.4.0 + Deer Park.  More than half of those scripts
require at least minor changes (in some cases major changes, depending
on coding style) to *work at all* in GM 0.4.2a3 + Deer Park.

I'm thrilled with the latest release, and I really appreciate all the
hard work you've put into crafting this new architecture, and I don't
(in the long run) mind refactoring 50 or 60 scripts if it means they
are now secure and untraceable, but let's be real here.  This is going
to be a major upgrade that (in my experience) breaks a *majority* of
existing scripts.  In my view, that deserves a new major version
number.

I've said my piece, and I won't belabor the point any further or risk
turning this into a bikeshed discussion.  Let's just ship this thing
and start selling "Re-install the monkey" t-shirts.

-Mark