[Greasemonkey] Dive Into Greasemonkey

Mark Pilgrim pilgrim at gmail.com
Tue May 10 11:05:02 EDT 2005

I am reminded at this juncture of a passage from Tom Stoppard's
excellent "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead", specifically the
scene where Rosencrantz and Guildenstern have stumbled upon The
Players -- a group of travelling actors/prostitutes -- on their way to
visit Hamlet.

GUIDENSTERN: Do you know any good plays?

PLAYERS: Plays?

GUIDENSTERN: I thought you were actors.

PLAYERS: Oh.  Oh, well, we are.  But there hasn't been much call --

GUILDENSTERN: Well, then.  One of the Greeks, perhaps?  You're
familiar with the tragedies of antiquity, are you?  The great
homicidal classics?  Matri, patri, fratri, sorori, uxori, and it goes
without saying --

ROSENCRANTZ: -- saucy --

GUIDENSTERN: Suicidal?  Maidens aspiring to Godheads, or vice versa?
That's your kind of thing, is it?

PLAYER: Well no, I can't say it is, really.  We're more of the blood,
love, and rhetoric school.

GUILDENSTERN: Well I'll leave the choice to you, if there is anything
to choose between them.

PLAYER: They're hardly divisible, sir!  Now, I can do you blood and
love without the rhetoric, and I can do you blood and rhetoric without
the love, and I can do you all three, concurrent or consecutive.  But
I can't do you love and rhetoric without the blood.  Blood is
compulsory -- they're all blood, you see.

GUIDENSTERN: Is that what people *want*?

PLAYER: It's what we do.

Well, this is what I do:

http://diveintogreasemonkey.org/

Patterns.  Case studies.  API reference.  Screencasts.  GPL-licensed.
Now open to the public and downloadable in 6 formats.

Share and enjoy.

-Mark