[Greasemonkey] kill an alert() popup from the script?

Vectorspace vectorspace at ntlworld.com
Wed Mar 1 19:20:28 EST 2006

I'm writing a Greasemonkey script that uses an alert() prompt to alert
me to specific things. It's called from inside a setTimeout() so the
script can continue to run rather than waiting for me to clear the
popup. The script also refreshes the page periodically, and if there is
an uncleared alert when it refreshes they can accumulate. Is there a way
the alert() popup can be cleared from the script?