[Greasemonkey] What is GM_executeContentScript?

Aaron Boodman zboogs at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 10:48:09 EST 2006

Hello list, long time no chat :-)

I don't believe that GM_executeContentScript() is in any official
release of Greasemonkey.

The idea is that you take a string of javascript and execute it in the
content page. The reason for this API is because of all the present
drawbacks with unsafeWindow.

Sometimes, all you need to do is call a function in content, or set a
variable, or something like that. GM_executeContentScript abuses the
javascript: psuedo-protocol to do this in a totally safe way.

The downside of the API is that you can't return any value from it, so
of course, you can't interact with it from your greasemonkey script.

- a