[Project_owners] How do you design your projects?

Biju G C bijumaillist at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 4 22:48:13 EST 2003

Unlike vbrowse most projects at mozdev are amateur in nature.
Even my http://quickmanager.mozdev.org/ started by
by combining http://quicktools.mozdev.org/ with
http://links.mozdev.org/

Still it have all the steps of software engineering
* gather requirements,
* plan their feature set,
* plan their UI or API or schema design,
* usability studies
But may not be a systematic way.

step
1. It start with "usability studies"
   Many times I get Idea from mozillazine
   http://forums.mozillazine.org/index.php?c=4

2. "gather requirements" its starts in step 1
   and its a ongoing process.
   http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=215162

3. "plan their UI" from step 1 & 2

4. "plan their API or schema design"
   did it before coding and is a ongoing process.

5. standards, which I define, then violate, fix,
   redefine, again violate

"if you do these things collaboratively"
the biggest collaboration at mozdev I saw is on
database at mozdev.org maillist
you can join it and see how they do
at http://mozdev.org/mailman/listinfo/database

database at mozdev.org is driving
http://themes.mozdev.org/
http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/
http://texturizer.net/firebird/extensions/
http://quickmanager.mozdev.org/

PS: Word "amateur" orginated from Latin "amator" meaning lover.
ie,  one who engages in a pursuit, study, science, or sport
because he loves it rather than the money it generates