[Project_owners] Mailing List and News Group

David Boswell davidwboswell at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 5 10:51:41 EST 2003

> I'm not sure what our policy is regarards private lists. We have
> admin private for security reasons.
>
> Dave?

i think pete already mentioned the available options, but i'll give my
opinion on this anyway.

i can understand why open source projects will sometimes need to have
private conversations.  to do this, it would probably be best to email
people directly so you don't have to worry about the archives of the
list or newsgroup being public.

if you do want to use the list for private conversations, then each
owner is also the admin for their list and they can make those changes.
 the newsgroups are't really set up to allow for each owner to admin
their own newsgroup so we need to adopt site wide newsgroup policies
otherwise it would be impossible for the few mozdev admins to maintain
this.

one option then is just to disable the newsgroup<->mailing list
gateway.  the newsgroup can stay public and the list can be reserved
for private conversations.

this seems reasonable to me, but if these options don't work for anyone
for whatever reasons we can certainly talk more about this.

david