[Project_owners] Rerun bayes database on current "left on server" spam?

Robert J. Accettura robert at accettura.com
Fri Nov 7 18:47:20 EST 2003

A few things to keep in mind about SpamAssassin:

Bayes doesn't kick in until 200 SPAM email's in it's database.  And
that's 200 that qualify for learning.  Not 200 spam (5.0 won't learn).

So until it hits that mark, Bayes is off, and rightfully so.

It's also a very bad idea to selectively train Bayes.  I've learned
myself that it produces lower accuracy.  Train it on lumps of mail both
ham and spam.  Not certain spam, but all spam.

Reason being that Spam morphs quickly these days.  You train for the 1
type it's not catching, and it will miss the next.  Spammers learned that.

The most effective way to use SA, is:
1.  Keep it up to date
2.  Use bayes for all mail
3.  Turn on 1 or 2 DNSBL's for extra protection (be careful so that you
don't backlog the server to much).

With all 3, you can easily eliminate 98% of spam.  3 is a tough one to
calabrate right for performance:effectiveness... but if done right it
works wellf or the ones that are missed by 1 and 2.

--
Robert J. Accettura
robert at accettura.com