[Project_owners] Rerun bayes database on current "left on server" spam?

Robert J. Accettura robert at accettura.com
Fri Nov 7 19:07:15 EST 2003

Increasing scores in general isn't a good idea.  No matter what you do,
your going to increase the amount of good mail getting caught (bad
thing).  Better idea is to use more tests (turn on DNSBL).  That way,
you don't get the negative effects.

The rules are given the default values for a reason... they aren't
random numbers.  Not even arbitrary.  They are calculated.

Bayes and DNSBL are what brings you from 80%-99% effectiveness.

Bayes just needs time (can't rush it).  DNSBL is really the way to go.
Though limit the lists used.  Perhaps 1 or 2.  And adjust until
effective ones are found.

Jay Garcia wrote:

>Yes, that's what I meant by "takes a long time". I've been running SA
>for a very long time for just over 100 mail clients, so I can be a
>little more targeted in my setup without globally affecting 1,000's of
>users. I like to increase the score value for certain criteria as it's
>more immediate.

Robert J. Accettura
robert at accettura.com