[Project_owners] Adding Files with CVS

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch.news at beonex.com
Wed Nov 19 00:22:42 EST 2003

Arthur Wiebe wrote:

> I'm relatively new to CVS

There are lots of introductions to CVS on the web. It's necessarily to
look into them, CVS is not intuitive.

> % cvs add Mozilla1.6a.pkg.zip

use -kb for non-text files:
cvs add -kb Mozilla1.6a.pkg.zip

> % cvs commit Mozilla1.6a.pkg.zip
>

> CVS:
> CVS: Enter Log.  Lines beginning with `CVS:' are removed automatically

> And that's all that happens. What does it mean?

As it says. It started your default editor and asked you to enter a log
message, some text describing your checkin. Write message, save file,
exit editor (whatever editor that is, I don't know, depends on your
system) and only *then* will the checkin take place.

> Also I've been trying different things but I can't seem to be able to
> remove directories I made but shouldn't have. Exactly how do you
> remove an empty directory from the CVS?

Not at all. Can't be done with CVS.