[Project_owners] Adding Files with CVS

Nathan Yergler nathan at yergler.net
Tue Nov 18 18:21:16 EST 2003

When you see the "Enter log" lines, you're actually looking at a vi
session.  CVS allows (requires?) you to add a log message to each
change, and whatever you enter in this editor session becomes that log
entry.  Once you've editted the message, you can save and quit and then
your file will be committed.  You can find out more about using vi at
https://engineering.purdue.edu/ECN/Resources/KnowledgeBase/Docs/20020202121609/
.  You can also change the editor CVS uses by setting the EDITOR
environment variable.

As to directories, they're handled as a special case in CVS.  You can
find the "official" documentation at
http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/cvsbook.html#Removing_Directories .

Hope that helps.

Nathan R. Yergler