[Project_owners] Re: Using the download mirrors

HJ bugs4hj at netscape.net
Wed Nov 19 02:16:21 EST 2003

Kevin Quiggle <kquiggle at earthlink.net> wrote:

>David Boswell wrote:
>
>>Kevin,
>>
>>In order to minimize bandwidth costs for our main server we are
>>requesting that all project owners serve all download files from our
>>mirror network.  This includes xpi, zip, tar, jar, pdf and other files
>>intended for users to download from your project's site.

I have some quesitons:
Who's the owner of/pays for that mirrow network?
You wrote 'our' mirror network, so I wonder how is that going to reduce your costs, if this is indeed also 'your' network?

>>To learn more about how to place files on the network and how to access
>>them once they are there, take a look at our Posting Files to the
>>Download Mirrors documentation at
>>
>>http://www.mozdev.org/docs/download.html
>>
>>If you read through this and have any questions about using the
>>mirrors, feel free to post your question to either the
>>mirrors at mozdev.org mailing list or to feedback at mozdev.org or mail me
>>back directly.
>>
>>Once you have moved your files to the mirrors, let us know and we will
>>remove the files from the main server.  Doing this will help us keep
>>the site responsive and keep our costs as low as possible.  Thank you
>>for your help with this.
>>David

What are you saying here? Are you planning to remove all XPI files from CVS trees? Even if they are not used for downloads? I use these XPI files as a reference and would like to be informed if anything drastic like this, is going to effect me.

Regards,
/HJ