[Project_owners] Re: spam on email addresses off of mozdev.org pages

Thierry Raguin t.raguin at netunion.com
Tue Nov 25 15:21:18 EST 2003

Chris Neale wrote:

>On Tuesday 25 November 2003 03:06, Christian Willy Asmussen wrote:
>

>>Hei,
>> I manage an e-mail ISP.  I handle e-mails every day.  I might be able
>>to help some!
>>

>we cannot rely on javascript, nor users being able to replace _at_ etc with @
>
>would be nice if Pete had time to Spam Assassinate the aliases : )

What I did on my project is a simple javascript function displaying an
alert message with the e-mail address
(http://hon.mozdev.org/members.html). It's not very user friendly but it
should work ok on any browser. The main problem is that it wouldn't take
long for spambots to also look for such methods so in the case of
dynamic pages, it could be interesting to replace the '[AT]' with a
random string...

<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
  function mailTo (obfuscatedEmail)
  {
    while (obfuscatedEmail.indexOf("|") != -1)
    {
      obfuscatedEmail = obfuscatedEmail.replace("|", "");
    }

    alert(obfuscatedEmail.replace("[AT]", "@"));
  }
//-->
</script>
mailTo('t|.|r|a|g|u|i|n[AT]n|e|t|u|n|i|o|n|.|c|o|m')">Thierry Raguin</a>

--
Thierry Raguin
t.raguin at netunion.com

NetUnion SARL