[Project_owners] Clarification for a SeaMonkey User

Neil Deakin enndeakin at sympatico.ca
Mon Sep 15 13:46:01 EDT 2003

A lot of people seem to be confused about the whole birds vs suite
thing. Here is my understanding of what is going to happen:

- Mozilla the suite isn't going away. However, at some point, its UI and
XUL toolkit will be replaced by the Firebird/Thunderbird UI and will
still be a suite.
- When downloading the installer build, you will get the choice of what
components to download and install, just like you do now. Mail,
Composer, DOM Inspector, Venkman, and other things will be part of those
choices. I saw some mockups of this process on Ben Goodger's site somewhere.
- some of the extra features will probably be integration features.
Users who like a slimmed-down version can either check 'browser only' or
download a browser only release.
- the applications will share a single GRE, so the size will be similar
to what the suite is now, assuming you choose all of the components.
- due to the different UI, you may have some advanced features that
won't be in the normal build. To get the suite however, you don't have
to do anything special.
- one reason Firebird isn't at 1.0 yet is because of UI features and
prefs that the developers realized are necessary, such as security
related UI.

I think the only real difference to an end user is that the Seakmonkey
suite will become a Bird suite and the UI will be different. If you
don't like the new UI, that's too bad. It doesn't make sense to maintain
two different ones with the limited resources available.

Someone mentioned having to update extensions continuously. Mozilla's
unusual versioning scheme is probably partly at fault here. Officially,
mozilla.org have only ever released two stable API versions, 1.0 and
1.4. The idea is that if API compatibility is important, third party
developers only develop for those versions. The version numbering system
should be modified so that this clearer I think. Mozilla is downloaded
by so many different people though, many of which use nightly builds and
betas and so forth; many of these people will want you to make sure your
extension works on the latest nightly build. If you do this, of course
you're going to have to update it frequently. If instead you write it
only for the stable releases, you'll find you have much less work to do.

By the way, are any of these comments being read or forwared to the
Mozilla Foundation?

/ Neil