[Project_owners] Clarification for a SeaMonkey User

Tim Stebbing tim.stebbing at nunatak.com.au
Tue Sep 16 11:12:53 EDT 2003

Fabio Serra wrote:
<snip>
> Now XPFE is so close to be the perfect toolkit to develop web based
> applications. Everyday a lot of web developers are fighting with DHTML
> to make web browser applications similar to the desktop one because
> customers ask for complex applications that can be loaded from a browser
> and that can run remotely.

I have to agree, I'm currently developing client-server web-based
applications in XUL that 12 months ago I would have been struggling to
implement in plain html and DHTML.

Web developers will flock to mozilla because it provides a single target
for writing web-based applications. People are sick of checking their
apps in IE, Netscape, Konqueror etc etc, along with the amount of
browser specific JS that they write its a nightmare that people take for
granted.

I'm using python and the twistedmatrix.com framework to serve dynamic
XUL, and will be serving RDF through it using RDFlib for python.
Developers want to integrate their language of choice into mozilla.

What would entice more web developers to mozilla (and shouldn't be
extremely difficult to implement) is better XPCOM support for languages
like python, perl, php etc. as well as scripting UI in those languages.

There is no reason why I shouldn't be able to call client-side
python/perl functions from onClick. This sort of advance would see
mozilla as the primary platform for rich web apps within a couple of
years, easy.

I discussed this sort of integration a week ago on #mozilla and
developers there seemed to like the idea.

just my 2c

-TJS