[Project_owners] A MozDev Mission Statement?

David Fraser davidf at sjsoft.com
Wed Sep 17 10:30:09 EDT 2003

Pete Collins wrote:

>> MADBird sounds great, but its a build, not a fork, and from Firebird,
>> not seamonkey.
>>
>> We should start the build as a Mozdev project, madbird.mozdev.org,
>> and every other project owner should have some buy-in. Build it and
>> they will come ;)
>

> Yea, I agree. it might make sense just to import a stable Mozilla
> branch onto Mozdev and just start. We all know what needs to get done.
>
> There is always the reality factor. If folks here want to work on
> MADBird, then it's better to just get it up and see if there is indeed
> enough inertia for it to actually fly.
>
> I can do the import this weekend when I have some time.
>
> What branch would make the most sense?
>
> Take you pick:
>
>   http://www.mozilla.org/releases/cvstags.html
>

> --pete

Since as GuruJ and others have said, what we want is a branch, not a
fork, wouldn't it be possible to ask the Mozilla.org guys for a branch
in their CVS, and allow people from madbird.mozdev.org the appropriate
rights to commit to it? Just worth thinking about.
Advantages of a separate CVS system are the ease of checking things in,
etc, separate bug tracking, etc.
Disadvantages are: the need to try and merge code back to mozilla.org,
the separate build system, etc...
I think the Disadvantages outweight the Advantages, and since producing
a platform is one of the main goals of mozilla.org, I think they might
be quite keen to help out on this project...

David