[Project_owners] International Month

Daniel Wang stolenclover at yahoo.com.tw
Mon Mar 1 20:08:33 EST 2004

http://www.geocities.com/stolenclover/moi.html

moi is a project for marketing push to international audience. The aim
is to attract potential contributors. This or next few month should be a
good time for this project: Mozilla Europe and mozilla.pl were launched
this year, French Geckozone reopened, Mozilla Links newsletter added 5
new languages "this" year so far, and Mozilla Gumi is having a party
April 18.

I'd like to coordinate a International month, either April or May.

April: Mozilla 1.7 will be released, and localization contributors may
want to scramble to get language packs ready within 48 hr of the release
to make language packs into CD. We will be very short on time, but we
will be timely.

May: mozilla.party.jp 5.0 will be over, and it will be 1 month+ since
the launches of Mozilla Europe and mozilla.pl. We'll have more time, but
we may not be timely.

So, the first question is: when would be a good time for this?

We already have most material ready for a special intl edition of
Mozilla Links Newsletter. I'd also hope to convince MozillaZine to make
a persistant help-wanted post board (starting with intl tasks). That
shouldn't take too much effort.

For mozdev.org, we could start a push to localize all extensions. Many
extensions are not localizeable (e.g. AdBlock, the last time I looked).
My thinking is this:

- Somebody takes the time to make one extension localizeable, then
writes down a easy-to-follow tutorial based on that experience.
- Projects with stable codebase make l10n-help-wanted announcements
- We encourage people with some programming experience to follow the
tutorial and make extensions localizeable.
- We encourage people who'd like to contribute but never has the
opportunity to to localize these extensions

Advantages: most extensions are small, so the projects will be doable
for most people. We attract new contributors who can take care of simple
development tasks, leaving existing programmers more time for other
difficult stuff.

Now, the second question: what do mozdev.org folks think about this?